Welcome to Diabetic Food List – Helping you to follow the steps to healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle to control and manage diabetes!
Begin with a healthy eating plan. Healthy eating means eating more grains, fruits, and vegetables, and less meat, sweets, and fats every day. “Let the Food be the Medicine and Medicine be the Food” (Hippocrates).
Be physically active every day to help prevent weight gain and improve blood sugar control.
Check the sugar in your blood and take your medication every day if needed.
How to create a healthy diabetic food list and recipes:
To create a healthy meal plan you should do the following:
- Eat a variety of foods as recommended in the Diabetes Food Pyramid to get a balanced intake of the nutrients your body needs – carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Make changes gradually because it takes time to accomplish lasting goals.
- Reduce the amount of fat you eat by choosing fewer high-fat foods and cooking with less fat.
- Eat more fiber by eating at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Eat fewer foods that are high in sugar like fruit juices, fruit-flavored drinks, sodas, and tea or coffee sweetened with sugar.
- Use less salt in cooking and at the table. Eat fewer foods that are high in salt, like canned and packaged soups, pickles, and processed meat.
- Eat smaller portions and never skip meals.
- Learn about the right serving sizes for you.
- Learn how to read food labels.
- Limit use of alcohol.