- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 45m
This is a delicious dish that could be served with a mixed vegetable salad or steamed broccoli and french bread.
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, sliced very thin
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon. salt (optional)
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced very thin
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8×8 or 9×13 baking dish.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
- Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.